Thursday, October 7, 2010

Unplugging TV

   Unplugging all of the television sets in the world, oddly, has crossed my mind before. I’ve spent random days daydreaming during math and science classes wondering what it would really be like. The official truth remains: we don’t know how it would affect people, and they're here to stay. Kids that abuse technology everyday would eventually be forced to live like our parents did when they were young, and I’m sure it would be a mind-boggling transformation depending on how addicted to the TV some children once were. On the other hand, I do know some young kids who love to watch movies and TV shows, but they still seem to excel in their school work. I think the reason this happens is because there are indeed many documentaries and informative shows that we see on television today. However, a strong counter-argument could be all of the profane and exotic material we are exposed to everyday through our television sets. In my opinion, a television isn’t going to have a major effect on how a child grows up. It won’t have a major effect on his or her health, knowledge, growth, and social influence. Keep in mind all of the intelligent and outgoing teens I’m with during class. Being in college, I would say that almost 99% of the students I am around and communicating with every day grew up with a TV in there house, if not their rooms. We’re all growing up in the golden age of technology and it’s going to be up to each individual to decide the amount they want to apply to their lives.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the only way we would be able to know if it would help is if we tested it but I do not think unplugging TV would make us smarter

    ReplyDelete